As I scoured the vast SnT Archive for the best Petra songs, I made an executive decision. They have so many that Petra is the first band to warrant a two part, back-to-back weekend spotlight on SnT Radio.com.
Petra has a number of other more significant firsts. Like the first Christian Band to be enshrined in Hard Rock Cafe. Another from the year 2000 is being the first Christian Rock Band inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
The Part 1 dividing line is 1986, the end of the Greg Volz front man era. Next week we will pick up with John Schlitt and the Back To The Street album. Any comparisons to the Van Halen
saga are purely coincidental. But I digress. The very first time I saw Petra was in the summer of 1973 or ’74 at the DuPage County Fairgrounds, Wheaton IL and they were supposed to open for Mason Proffit.
Ok, I was there to see Mason Profitt but as a Christian, I was pleasantly surprised to have Terry Talbot step forward before the proceedings to announce the promoter had grossly misrepresented the event on
the radio and that he was there strictly as a soloist sans Mason Profitt. He’d become a Christian and that anyone who didn’t want to hear songs that night about Jesus could get a full refund at the box office.
About two dozen folks got up and left complaining loudly. Then he introduced Petra. The song I remember most from that night was “Backslidin’ Blues.” It was a 15 minute jam that really cooked.
Later on in my life I had the opportunity to interview Bob Hartman a couple of times for Creation House publications Christian Life (now Charisma) and Christian Retailing Magazine. When I find them, I’ll post them here.
Then in partnership with Harvest Productions, WCRM 103.9 FM, the Christian Music station I managed, helped to sell out many Petra concerts at the Odeum in Villa Park IL during the 1981 – 1986 Greg Volz era.
It was an exciting time and we saw the impact their music had on a generation of young believers living in the Chicago area. But it was the message in the music that was so incredibly fruitful. Lives were changed.
Many were saved and/or rededicated their lives to Christ at those Petra concerts. Such ministry was a top priority and it came across loud and clear. The Marshall amps helped too. LOL!
To listen just log on: http://www.sntradio.com
Here is the Petra Part 1 playlist, and a day early at that.
1. Chameleon from Never Say Die
2. God Gave Rock & Roll to You from Come and Join Us
3. Hollow Eyes from Captured in Time and Space
4. Grave Robber from Not of This World
5. Bema Seat from Not of This World
6. GodPleaser from Not of This World
7. Beat the System from Captured in Time and Space
8. Stand Up from More Power To Ya
9. More Power To Ya from More Power To Ya
10. Second Wind from More Power To Ya
11. Disciple from More Power To Ya
12. Angel of Light from Never Say Die
13. Witch Hunt from Beat the System
14. Voice In The Wind from Beat the System.
15. Backslidin’ Blues from Petra
16. Woman You Don’t Know from Come and Join Us
17. Without You Surely I Would Die from Come and Join Us
18. Why Should the Father Bother from Washes Whiter Than
19. For Annie from Never Say Die
20. Praise Ye The Lord from Never Say Die
21. Judas Kiss from More Power To Ya
22. Not of This World from Not of This World
23. Clean from Beat The System
24. Yahweh Love from Washes Whiter Than
SnT Radio.com will play one song approximately every hour from this list beginning at 12:00am EST Saturday, August 20, 2011.
Join us next week for Petra Part Two. Tell your friends and refer them here www.sntradioblog.wordpress.com
to make a comment or share their personal Petra memories.